Saturday, June 7, 2014

OMB 70th D Day Celebration

Promised I'd be back and 'I'm Here".

Very proud and Happy to be here to welcome you all to
my 89th something posting, in of more than 7 years of Blogging.

This 70th Anniversary of this important day in World Civility,
born through the efforts of a War to End All Wars, is to be
humbly compared with today's perception of wars and their reality.

Who Cares !
Life goes on !
Whatsallthefussabout !

Fortunately, some of us still do care.

Thought you would like to see a picture of our outfit, the
301st Port Company, taken at Indiantown Gap, PA,
in 1943, after Basic Training.
Graciously,sent to me by Bill and his wife, Pam..
Bill's Father, Frank Wroblewski is Seventh from the right, seated in the first row.

















301st Port Company Indian Town Gap, PA 1943


Left to Right, Meredith, Me and Portnoy Front Row Seated

Robert Laurence Binyon wrote from and about WWI until he died on
March 10,1943....one month after I arrived at Camp Upton to be oriented
in the  Army before Basic training.
I found his stuff fascinating and scary.
My Favorite scary one, was "The Fallen",
which I've referred too, on occasion...
I would like to remember this day with
some of his verse of remembrance.

They went with songs to the battle, they were young. 

Straight of limb, true of eyes, steady and aglow. 

They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted, 

They fell with their faces to the foe. 

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old: 

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. 

At the going down of the sun and in the morning, 

We will remember them. 

Thank Pal, Thanks

4 comments:

Pat Tillett said...

Hi Sol!
So much history and so many memories. This was a great post Sol. Hope everything is going well, my friend. Take care...
pat

solfine said...

Thank you Pat for your very welcomed visit and comment.....
Sticking around for a while,
Sol.

charlieboy chronicles said...

Hey Sol...as always another great post. And we should all care...thanks for helping us to remember...love ya...Elizabeth

solfine said...

Thank you Elizabeth for your welcomed comment and my apologies for delaying my response...but hey, I'm Here...
Will try to tend my chores on this site more often in the future..And,
That's a promise.
Solomon